My post of the history of the Green Manor in Union City GA:
Drewry A. Carmichael came to Old Campbell County in 1889 to seek his fortune. He soon met Miss Cora Westbrook, the tenth of eleven children of W.R. and Elizabeth Westbrook, and won her heart. As a wedding gift, the Westbrook's gave the young couple a plantation consisting of thirty acres of land and a house built in the early 1800's.
The years were good to the Carmichaels, and Drewry became very successful. Drewry and his brother designed and patented farm equipment and founded a factory in Fairburn to build equipment. He was instrumental in the Farmers Union selecting Old Campbell as its Georgia National Headquarters, and this contributed greatly to the area's economy. On August 7, 1908, a new town was chartered where the National Union Headquarters was located and was named Union City. Drewery A. Carmichael was elected as Union City's first mayor.
In 1910 he started construction on a new home for his wife and four children. He decided to build the new home over the foundation of the old home. He incorporated many special features into his family's new home. He purchased a brick factory to supply the unusual colored bricks for the home. All the supporting walls were also constructed of solid brick. Ten (10) fireplaces, sliding pocket doors, beveled stained glass-windows and doors; two (2) dual staircases, wide board white pine floors, and the solid granite wrap around porch with large columns are a few of the features which made the Carmichael's home unique to the area.
The large basement has now been converted into a Wine Cellar and lounge, popularly known as Tiny Cheers.
Mr. Carmichael's prosperity was to be short lived. In 1915 the Farmer's Union failed because of the devastation to farmers caused by the boll weevil. His farm equipment factory also began to fail. Mr. Carmichael had invested most of his money in the local bank in Union City and was chairman of the board of directors. One of the bank officials absconded with most of the bank's cash and Mr. Carmichael had to sell off much of his personal property to help repay the stockholders and patrons of the bank. In 1917 he sold his family's home to Dr. Albert J. Green for $8,000.00.
Dr. Green moved his lovely bride, Johnnie Hobgood, daughter of Dr. Lewis Martin and Lula Palmer Hobgood, a very prominent family from Fairburn, into their new home. He used the front room for his office and his patients waited on the front porch and sat in swings and rocking chairs. He continued his practice here until shortly before his death in 1947. Mrs. Green continued to live here until her death in February 1984, at the age of 89. Two of the Green's sons, George Hobgood and Ed Martin, are also deceased. The remaining son, Albert John, and his wife Barbara, are the present owners of the property. The house has been maintained exactly as it was originally built except that a kitchen has been added where the back porch stood. During the renovation of the house, the original fireplace, dating back to 1800, was found in the basement. Cannon balls from the Civil War have also been recovered on the property.
The Green Manor is in a Historical District and will be added to the State & National Historic Registers.